Hello to the newly engaged couples reading this! It’s time to get that wedding planning underway. At this point, you’re probably wondering about wedding photography cost. The saying goes: first comes love, then comes marriage. But it’s really more like: first comes love then comes engagement, then comes a budget, setting a date and location, finding vendors…. Then a few months to a few years later comes marriage. One of the most important items to check off your list while planning for the big day is finding your wedding photographer. First, you’ll find a photographer with a style, approach, and vibe that you dig. Then, your next question will be about price. Though it’s different for every wedding and every photographer, we can give you some insight into what impacts your final wedding photography cost. Let’s go!
Why and How The Photographer You Choose Impacts Your Wedding Photography Cost
If there’s one thing from your wedding that will hold its value, it’s the photography. If you’re unsure about the cost of wedding photography, just think about it like this. You’re not just paying someone to take pictures that document your wedding day. You’re investing in capturing portraits and moments that will be oohed and awed at by generations to come. We’re creating heirlooms with you. Wedding photography truly is an investment. Especially when you hire an experienced and talented photographer like the ones at MANGO.
When hiring a photographer from Mango Studios, you’re getting the best team of boss babes in the business. Plus, you’re also getting peace of mind. As your wedding photographers and new best friends, we’ll ease you through every step of the way to your big day. We’re also dedicated to making sure your photos reflect who you are as a couple. Plus, effortlessly show the vibe and story of your wedding. To be honest, we’re not just another wedding vendor. When you’re investing with us for your photographs, we’re investing in our relationship with you. This is how we’re able to tell your unique story in photos, and why our photography has an elevated level of personal intimacy.
Key Factors that Influence the Cost of Your Wedding Photography
However, that’s just the big picture stuff. There are so many other details about your wedding that define the final cost of your package.
- Wedding Date
These days, it seems like Wedding season is year-round, right? But the most popular days for weddings are still Saturdays from May to September. Having your wedding on a Saturday in high season can up your wedding photography cost. Consider having your wedding during the off-season, on a Sunday, or on a weekday. If you’re not worried about traditions, why not try a weekday in the off-season? Your traditional relatives probably won’t mind, we promise. Plus, the special pricing that comes with Friday and Winter weddings is worth it.
Location, location, location! Having a destination wedding? You may need to pay for your photographer’s travel and boarding expenses. Even being far from the closest big city can add to your final cost. Most wedding photographers charge a fee for weddings a certain distance from their home base. Fees for photography at some locations can add to your price too. Don’t forget about photography permits and licensing. This is a big one if you’re planning on getting shots in a government or commercially owned property.
- Day-of Details
Think about your day and what your expectations are when making your budget. Depending on what you want for coverage, you may need more than one photographer. More photographers are an additional cost but are really worth it if you have a lot of guests or a large venue. You don’t want any moments left uncaptured! Plus, the more hours of photography you want, the more expensive your package will be. Early morning getting ready shots to a night-time sparkler send-off can easily be 10+ hours. Average packages at 8 hours and grow in time and price from there.
- Photography Add-Ons
If you’re like me, you love a good add-on. Fries with that? Yes please, how could I forget! You especially don’t want to forget your wedding photography add-ons when calculating the cost of your wedding photography. Some of the items that will add to your final quote are:
- Adding professional prints and physical albums to your package. These will be the photographs your grandbabies will lust over for years to come! This can be prints for framing, bound books, collages etc.
- If you book a photo booth. This can be a total crowd pleaser! Camera, photographer, background, and props all included in the additional price.
- An engagement session. This one is a must! For more info on why an engagement session is crucial, check out our blog post about it here: https://mangostudios.com/why-hiring-an-engagement-photographer-is-worth-the-hype/
3 Tips For Picking The Right Wedding Photographer in Toronto
The number one factor for the cost of your wedding photography will be which photographer you choose! Here are our quick tips to help you find “the one”.
- Personality: Do you jive and vibe together? Could you be best friends with this person? Go out to drink or eat with them? You’ll be spending 8+ hours with your photographer on one of the most important days of your lives. Pick one that you love, not just on paper, but in person too!
- Full Body Of Work and Style: Look for full galleries of their previous work. You want to make sure their style of shooting matches what you want. It’s not enough to go off of just one picture or an Instagram profile! Think about the different styles out there, and look for some good combos. What you usually want is a mix of editorial and photojournalistic. Look out for a good spread of effortlessly posed portraits and emotional, candid in-between moments.
- Cross-Industry Skills: During your searching, look to see what other industries/mediums photographers work in. At MANGO, our photographers come from various photography backgrounds. They’re also active and respected members of the local artistic scene. Make sure your photographer is well rounded and has unique artistic expertise to bring to the table.
Wedding Photography Cost Calculator
To make the wedding photography cost a lil’ easier for you, we created a Wedding Photographer Package estimator. It’s not an official quote, but it’ll give you a ballpark of what your package could end up costing. Feel free to play around with the options to find the combination that’ll hit your budget sweet spot. http://photographycalculator.com
To give you a ballpark, wedding photography costs in Toronto can range anywhere from $3,000 to $8,000. You might be thinking: wow that’s a big range. And it is! All of the details discussed above will decide what your package will cost. We have to stress though that cheaper does not always mean better. In fact, it’s usually the opposite! As mentioned before, your wedding photography is an investment. You get what you put in. At MANGO we love working with couples to create individual packages based on the details, wants, and needs of your day.
If you’re interested in getting a professional, personalized MANGO quote for your wedding photography cost, drop us an email here. We can’t wait to work with you!